Worship first took place in St. Patrick’s Church on Donegal Street in 1815, although the magnificent building that stands there now dates from 1877. The ‘new’ church was designed by the architect Timothy Hevey and built by Collen Brothers of Portadown and Dublin, with the new church being constructed around the old one – which was then demolished. It is a Grade B+ listed building.
Adjacent to the church is the refurbished St. Patrick’s School, constructed in 1828 by the Belfast builder Timothy Hevey, father of the architect of the same name who went on to design the church next door. This was the first Catholic school to be built in Belfast, on land donated by the Marquess of Donegall.
For much of its history the school was operated by the Christian Brothers and was a functioning primary school until 1982. After it closed it served briefly as a parish community centre and at one stage the parish clergy suggested the demolition of the school to allow for a large car park. We’re delighted the suggestion was not taken up.
The glorious interior of the church is also home to an art treasure – The Madonna of the Lakes triptych, painted as an altarpiece by the celebrated artist Sir John Lavery, who had been baptised in St. Patrick’s.
If you would like to find out more about the St Patrick’s Church, please visit the Great Place North Belfast website: https://greatplacenorthbelfast.com/






