Oldpark Library was the first of three libraries built by Belfast Corporation following a donation from Andrew Carnegie, the Scottish-American steel magnate and philanthropist – who funded libraries, schools and universities throughout the USA, UK, Ireland and Europe.
Built in 1906 to the designs of the local architectural practice Watt and Tulloch, this elegant and beautifully proportioned building served as a library and source of inspiration to the community of the area for over 100 years, finally closing in 2008.
The Northern Ireland Foundation is leading a project to develop a ‘third sector’ use for Oldpark Library. Recent visitors to the building have included many people who were dedicated users of the building since childhood, some setting foot inside for the first time in five decades. They shared some of their memories: how the love of books had been passed down through three generations of the family, the smell of the polished floors – and the lady librarian who allowed the occasional young visitor to stand beside her and help to stamp the books.
Find out more about the restoration project at:









